Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Emmanuel

Last month I changed jobs and moved into a new office. I have a lot of books, even after getting rid of books before the move. I have books, pictures, and other items that have been in my office for many years. I've moved several times, but these things come with me. Do I need all of these books in my office? Probably not. Why do I have all of these books that I have read and might not read again? It makes me feel like this is my office. It gives me comfort. Ok, these are my emotional support books. There, I said it, are you happy now? 

Why do we keep things with us? Why do people rent storage units to keep their "stuff"? We do this because it brings us comfort. Decades ago when I was a kid somehow I got through life without having a cell phone with me at all times. Now we need the comfort of knowing we might need to send a text or get a text or get directions or any number of things. Why do we do this? Because we feel alone. We struggle with being alone. In our society, placing someone in a room alone for an extended period is a punishment. Whether it is a child being put in "timeout" or a prisoner in solitary, it is a punishment. 

As human beings, we struggle with being alone. This is why humans want people around us, or the ability to communicate with people, or a pet, or emotional support books. All of that is kind of weird, but that's the human condition. And into this situation God sent Jesus. One of the names of Jesus is Emmanuel. In the Bible names are not just names, but they also are descriptive of the person. Jesus is called Emmanuel which means God with us. To these lonely human beings God sent himself. He did not send us more people or more stuff, he sent himself. He is the Emmanuel, he is God with us. 

Galatians 4:4 "But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law." God came to be the Emmanuel, to be with us as a human race at just the right time. And we can trust him to come to us at the right time. We may need God to give us comfort in the midst of sorrow, peace in the midst of busyness, or even correction when we're going the wrong way. God will be the Emmanuel if you let him. Will you let him be your Emmanuel? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Better Relationships #11 - Love is not Rude

“Love is not rude” In this series of blogs we’ve been looking at 1 st Corinthians 13. This chapter about love is a chapter not just on re...